Friday, July 18, 2008

THE STOLEN REQUIEM

Bright sunlight sparking rays of enlightenment
eased through the window sill and grazed the floor
The mosaic shined and blitzed with effervescence
and the ever-inviting room lit with sunshine galore.

I entered with my foot right up to my knee,
“The march was spot on”, I acknowledged that
perfection envisaged my humble age.
I stood tall, ready, with a red tie and black hat.

I walked through ‘my’ street - majesty adorned,
many a head bowed in perfect synchrony.
I sat at the crux of the crowded lane, and
a perennial list of followers, queued in harmony!

For many I was more than a hero
whom the Almighty had sent to reassert justice.
Though in a manner so crude and rough
I was surely faring better than an apprentice.

The numerous kisses that my right hand accepted
and the numerous wishes that the ears have heard
seemed to don the majesty in me.
The nerves of steel, yet the heart of a third.

From nowhere amidst a huge crowd
clothed in rugs and bits of materials stitched
appeared a child that instantly drew attention,
and spoke thus, in a voice low pitched,

“You are a great man, people here say,
Their problems, you solve within a day,
come whatever, you never just fray,
and all day long, for the people you pray!

Oh best amongst men, please let your mind sit
on this little kid, for you are so fit
to fulfill my wish and do your little bit,
for a ‘candle’ that has no flame lit”

Praise has never ever let down man,
It is the one thing that can make him live past
a hundred years of drought and famine.
And humbled I was, by my ego so fast.

I looked at the child and saw in it the tear
that waited for the permit to cross the eyelids.
Overpowered by emotions, the most stable mind
stumbled across a child with innocent bids.

“Go on, young fellow, ask whatever you feel.
The honour shall be mine to fulfill them, it’s a deal.
In return, I have a favor that you shall have to seal,
by having along with the mighty ME, tomorrow’s meal”

A cute little nod as cute as it gets
and a big head nod in acknowledgement.
The child came closer, and I moved forward too,
Every word of the infant, sounded drums into the tent.

“Father he is and his son I am,
His wife he hit, not yours, after all
It wasn’t a big mistake, it is no crime.
The woman wasn’t complaining, but you had no time.

So you cared least about what the issue was,
And carried him like a thug onto this very seat
And took your sword and with just four blows
Took off both his hands and legs, mighty neat.

that person whom you punished yesterday night
for having slapped his wife, unsteady drunken.
That man robbed of his two hands and legs
I want him back, Oh great amongst men!”

My lips tightened and my seat stiffened,
My eyes shut close and my breathe chilled cold,
With mouth open involuntarily in shock
I blinked, knowing not, what to be told.

Trembling hands and unsure legs
Led me out of the scene, though slow
My eyes switched, but not my thoughts
What a drastic end to a superlative show!

Twilight enlightened me of the child’s maturity.
He had not expected any answer, of me.
My thoughts grew old and so did I,
And I realized soon that, this is the way to be.

No one writes my end other than me
and such is the end, I wished to see.
But now, upside down is the family tree
that it happens not as it has to be.

Bright sunlight sparking rays of enlightenment
eased through the window sill and grazed the floor
The mosaic shined and blitzed with effervescence
and the ever-inviting room lit with sunshine galore.

1 comment:

Sharadh said...

Ganesh is always a poet deep inside!!